Saturday, April 28, 2007

So as I had promised yesterday here are some photos that I took with my new camera. I love it! It's the best camera that I've ever owned. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ7. It is SOOO cool! At least to me. It's nothing like the camera that my parents just bought but I don't have 800 to spend on a camera and another 600 in lenses. But mine has a better zoom. Take that mom and dad. :-)~ (Just kidding)

But before I get into the describing of pictures I'm gonna take a little time to say how great it is to have little kids sometimes. I just spent about an hour and a half laying on the front lawn with youngest. He asked if we could sit outside and look at the stars. Sure we can! Then he says oh wait. I need a towel to lay on. I said I'll just get a picnic blanket. We set it up and he lays down. Instantly gets up and says he needs a pillow. Gets it lays down for about 30 seconds and jumps up again. I'll be right back I need a blanket. He comes back with the comforter from his bed and asks me to cover him up. And here I am roasting. It was 90 degrees here today. I had to turn on the AC at dinner time to keep from getting over heated any more than I already was.

Little side bar. The entire time the rest of you have been writing and complaining about how cold it is or how much snow you get have been killing me all winter long. I love that weather! So now I'm gonna start complaining about the weather. It's to dam hot! I hate the heat. Anything over 60 is just too dam warm for me. so if any if you want this "nice" upper 80 degree just hitting 90 temps please come and take it! You can have it. End side note.

So after he got all comfy we just laid there and watched the stars and the moon. A little later oldest came out and joined us. Then around 9:30 they decided it was bed time and asked if they could go to bed.

Times like that make me really miss where I grew up. It was in the mountains. I didn't know what a street light was till I was almost 10. So when the stars came out they really came out. Tonight we could see maybe a handful of stars because of all the lights.

So without further boorish writings here are my pics for the day.
This first one is a bridge that the state is putting a new control house on. So I had to work there for my OT today to shut down the road so we could open the bridge for a tug and barge. easy money right there. As long as you can deal with pissed off drivers that cuss you out because they cant get across the bridge until they wait 10-15 minutes. Big deal. You knew the set backs of delta life before you moved here or traveled here.
Just another shot of the bridge this time looking straight down the middle. I was going for a certain effect for this when it is blown up. It should be set so that when it is bigger, no matter what angle you look at it from left or right it should appear that you are looking right down the middle.


This one and the next are just sunset pictures taken from the bridge house of another bridge that I deliver supplies to.




.
And this is the staircase/ladder that you have to climb to get to the bridge house. It's scary enough for me to walk that carrying nothing. But once a week I have to carry 2 3 gallon water jugs up those stairs


This is one of the towers of the bridge. The cement block at the top is called a counter weight. It weighs exactly the same weight as the bridge deck. With the help of the counter weights we only use 1 electric motor per tower. Each motor is less than 15 horse power. The few pics coming next are taking from almost the top of the tower. I was on the bridge house when the bridge was lifted. that brought me 90 feet in the air. There is still another 35 feet to the very top if I need to change a navigation light.


Here we have a sunset picture of the same windmills in the previous photo. Just from a higher viewpoint.




this here is looking towards the bridge that will be taking me almost 200 feet in the air. The town you see in this picture is the town Summer and I live in. We can see the towers of that bridge from our front and back yard.

Lastly we have one of the 2 ferries that I deliver supplies to. Both ferries run 24/7. The operators of the boats work 12 on 12 off. That's hours not days. They have a pretty cool schedule though. They are on what's called a 28 day schedule. So every 28 days they get 7 days off with using no vacation. How cool is that? The down side is that they work a different shift every time they come in from a weekend. The worst part is for me when I have to try and figure out who can cover a shift when someone calls in sick or goes on a vacation. I'll have to explain it later though. I'm pooped!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok that looks like an area just outside of Martinez, CA. I think I remember reading you're in Northern Cal.

I just got home sick big time! Great pictures!

Confused Husband said...

oblivion Your close. About 30 miles away.

So I made you home sick? Any thing you'd like to see in particular from home?
CH

Unknown said...

Confused one,
If you like pics from tall hieghts I will send you some. I work on radio and television towers up to 2200' ft. I'll send some your way.

for a different kind of girl said...

Those sunset pictures are quite wonderful. I'm envious of your camera. I think mine is something from the Flintstones. I quite believe there is some version of a prehistoric bird in there, etching out the images on slates.

I'm also envious of children who actually ask if they can go to bed! We like drama, coupled with huge crocodile tears. Which come from me when they don't just go to bed like told, but don't spread that around!

Recovering Soul said...

Nice pics, CH!

ArtfulDodger said...

Great pictures CH! As always of course. Can't wait to hear more about the 200 ft in the air part... yeesh!

Anonymous said...

Got a picture of the Golden gate bridge?

I'm heading home for a visit in a month... and I can not wait!

Ob