Thursday, September 01, 2005

The state of the world

This evening my 10 year old son had a homework assignment to watch the evening news. I pretty much don't watch the news at all. But for the sake of homework I did tonight. I was disgusted by what I saw. Thus reinforcing why I don't watch the news. They were showing coverage of New Orleans. Looters have taken over the city and people are shooting at rescue helicopters. What the fuck are these people thinking? The National Guard is now needing to do police action instead of rescue operations AND rescue volunteers and ambulance companies are saying they can't help people until they get more security for them. Then there are reports that they are having more problems in the Superdome which is being setup as a shelter. There are shootings, rapes and thievery going on in there. This is NOT the time for these actions to be going on. People need to be pulling together to help one another out. Or is that just my idealistic mind talking? It's one thing if a city wants to destroy itself by looting after their team wins the World Series or whatever. In that case I say fence off the 'war zone' and let nature take it's course. But how can you do this here?

I guess that's it for this topic. I just needed to go on my soapbox for awhile. Thanks for letting me vent.

No comments: