Wednesday, March 14, 2007

More hospitals

Well today I get a call from my mom saying that the Dr. wants to operate on my grandma. She has been in the hospital since last Thu. They did some type of test today and found that her pancreas is back to normal after 5 days with no food. The gave her a small meal last night and did the test this morning to find that the gall bladder is still inflamed and swollen. So the Dr. told my mom they would operate either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. They would let her know. So she said she would call me to let me know, that way I could take off work and be at the hospital when they were doing the operation and when she woke up.

Well my mom calls around 1:15 and says the nurse just came in and said they are taking her down to the operating room in 15 minutes. Nice notice. So I rush down there and wait with my mom. Any ways they wanted to do the operation laproskopickly, but said it may have to be done by cutting her open due to some adhesion's from having her appendix removed and from a tubal pregnancy. Luckily they were able to do it the first way.

Everything went fine. They were able to remove her gall bladder with no problems. The Dr. came out and talked to my mom and I and said that the operation isn't the thing to worry about though. He said that with people her age the first 2-3 days of recovery are the critical time periods. After the operation her heart is working harder and at more risk. So now the real waiting game begins.

The problem was when I was in the waiting room. I get a call from Summer asking me when I was coming home. Grandma had just gotten out of the operating room so I haven't been able to see her. And here is SR wanting me to come home because she can't control the kids. I understand that the kids are a handful. But I needed to be there for my grandma. After all when her mom was in the hospital for her bypass operation I watched both our kids and another kid for over 14 hours by myself so she could be at the hospital where she was needed.

Am I asking too much by wanting the same in return?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a bit needy to me...what is her side of it?

for a different kind of girl said...

these are matters i am not even going to touch, because i'm sure i've done the same thing in like situations. stress from either side is never a fun thing to throw into the mix.


as an aside, i just say your vodpod selections and i'm not walking around singing 'l.a. face with an oakland booty.'

thank you for that.

for a different kind of girl said...

ok, i am walking around doing that...

ArtfulDodger said...

Hey man, don't go trying to get us in the middle of you and Summer, we love you both. :) Ok, lame attempt at humor, it is hard being caught between two things that need your attention, so hard to do two things at once. Because you just can't and it is as simple as that. believe me, you will never regret making the right choice, whichever one that might be.

Confused Husband said...

lbd Her side is that the youngest was in a VERY fowl mood last night. My mom promised him the night before that he could come over to her hose for a few hours after school and eat dinner with her. Then when my grandma had to have the operation she had to be there for that instead. He didn't understand and was pissed.

fadkog Stress efinately was a factor on both sides. I was so worried about my grandma and that was all that was on my mind.

I'm not going round the house siging 'she's my cherry pie' either. :D

Art I would never try to get you all involved between Summer and I. Nor would I want anyone to take sides. I needed to vent a little. Today we are doing fine. Went for a nice drive out to Napa this morning. Had a good time.
CH

Confused Husband said...

fadkog Actually I am singing that as I walk around the house. Summer is ready to kill me now. But I can't stop!
CH

Summer Rose said...

How much do I love thee, let me count thy ways. Please stop singing she's my Cherry pie any song,but that song!
S.R.

for a different kind of girl said...

....'swingin' to the left, swingin' to the right...cool drink of water, such a sweet surprise...'

yep...

Confused Husband said...

I scream you scream we all scream for her

Rob said...

And then of course CH, there's my infamous "Roll me over in the clover" song that you've heard me singing in the past! (evil grin)

Summer Rose said...

Hahahahhaha!!
S.R.