Thursday, April 27, 2006

What a day

I stayed home from work today so that Summer and I could go to our son's second psychiatrist appointment. She asked us if we wanted to put him on some meds for his Autism.
I haven't mentioned our son having Autism before on this sight because Summer was taking core of that aspect on her site. But she closed shop for awhile leaving it up to me. That was the reason for me being so distraught in the post the other night when I was crying on the phone to my mom. This Dr. said that his being diagnosed with ADHD was really off base, and he is on the lower end of the Autistic scale. So now we are going to Doctors all over the Bay Area to get him tested and so forth so that he can go to a private school in the fall. At least that is the plan as of now.

Anyways she was suggesting giving him a medication to help keep him settled down. We are both opposed to this. She was suggesting Prozac. She feels that we need to do something because we are both at our wits end with the tantrums that he throws. His memory is like the memory of an elephant. He NEVER forgets anything. And that causes a lot of the tantrums. My concern is that all the Dr.s want to do is put him some dammed medication. They are going to end up having him walking around in a drug induced haze all the time. I actually said that do the doc today.

Reading up some of the material that was given to us he is showing all kinds of signs for Autism and has been for years. So why is it just now being diagnosed? He's seen Doctors for quite some time and we have asked them about all the things that this doctor is saying are signs of autism. So I guess that I owe the school a big apology.

After the appointment Summer and I went out to lunch before my appointment. Where she started to ask me what I had planned for the HUGE surprise I wrote about yesterday. She was getting downright rude about it. And me being the push over I am for her came very close to telling her. I couldn't keep a straight face when talking about it. I was just so happy about what I did that I couldn't hide it. I need to stop talking about it before I give it away here.

Tonight we finally went to do the shopping for Summer's b-day clothes shopping spree. I had a blast. She enjoyed herself. It was a good evening. I just love to spend money on Summer. It makes me feel so....... I can't really describe it. But there is a downside. Now that I'm home and the shopping is over I feel empty inside. I built this up for the whole month waiting for this OT check. It's here, we spent, and now it's done. It's depressing. Plus the fact that Summer got sick right after we got home. She told me that she wanted to relax with me and cuddle when we got home. Now she's stuck in the bathroom.

And that's all for this p[post. I'm working on another post going through some memories, that is taking longer than I thought. It's also not turning out the way I want either so it's going to be hard.

2 comments:

O272 said...

Easy come, easy go! Sorry to hear Summer isn't feeling well!

cinnamon girl said...

I must say I agree with you both about the Prozac.

As I've said here before, I'm not opposed to the use of medication, but only when it's really needed. It seems to me (without knowing your son)that prozac or some such would maybe mask his tantrums, but it wouldn't teach him anything about how to deal with them.

Teaching that sort of stuff to autistic kids is hard, but possable with the right sort of help.

I don't know if you've ever seen the tv show super nanny? I only ever watched it once but that particular episode had an autistic kid whose parents were at breaking point. She got in an autism expert to show them some ways of teaching him how to deal with frustration and tantrums and also to talk a bit since he was non-verbal.

I didn't see the end of the show but it was an example of how there are people out there who know this sort of stuff. Hopefully you can both find someone who can help your son without that sort of medication if you are not comfortable with using it on your kid.