Friday, January 13, 2006

I'm really trying to keep up with things to write but I'm finding it more and more difficult to come up with things to write about. I really don't want to post all the complete details of my day to day life. Mostly because they aren't very interesting even to me. I'm not going to give up on this site as I like writing here. I really wish that I could come up with some real meaningful or insightful postings like some others but I'm just not that creative. So for now I'm going to use this as a place to just let out my frustrations so they don't interfere with my family life.

I came home from work early today so that I could take my truck in to have it smoged again. I did it on Wed. but it failed. Had a new cat put on yesterday, and it passed today. Of course it helped that the smog tech was my mechanics brother. ;) Amazing what a case of Budweiser can do.
Anyways back to my coming home early. As I was getting ready for a shower Summer came in and we sat on the bed talking a little bit. The topic came to Blogs and she was asking if I had read this post from FTN. I hadn't read it yet. She highly recommended it because she said it was hilarious. Then she asked if I had read pretty peanut. Again I said no. She told me about what she had posted today, and then she started to cry. I asked her if she was crying because of what was going on with pp. She said that was some of it but she was also upset because her mom's birthday would have been on Mon.
This is where I have the problem, and am asking for help. When she gets upset about her mom's death I really don't know what to say or do. When she cries about it I feel even more at a loss. She told me last year that she was mad at me because she felt that I didn't support her when her mom died. (I know this is taking a while but I'm getting there.) That was because I felt at a loss for words. So back to today. I wanted so badly to say something to her to make her feel better but couldn't come up with anything. So I just laid her down and held her for a few minutes before she had to pick up the youngest son. I never was good at dealing with death. Never knowing what to say. Saying they are in a better place seems so cliche' to me.
So here is the question- What should I do in a time like this? I know the right answer is to just hold her but to me it don't feel like enough.
What I did do though was after she left I put a card on the computer desk for her when she got home. It just said how much I love her. That was over 9 hours ago and I haven't heard a word about it from her. I know she opened it because of where it was when I got home from the smog test. I'm not expecting or even wanting earth moving mind blowing sex just because I gave her a card. But a simple 'Thank you' would be nice. Am I just being petty?

One last note for the day. While were out shopping at Sam's Club tonight I jokingly said lets get a laptop computer. She said why. I answered so the we could both be online Blogging at the same time. She said well this one is only 700 how bout it? You are the one that got me hooked on Blogging you know.
So she went from wanting nothing to do with Blogging to now she is willing to get a bottom of the line lap[top so that we can both Blog at the same time. Go figure. Now I just need to come up with about 800 after taxes and a carrying case.

3 comments:

O272 said...

CH - I'm with you in the consoling department. I never know what to say. Really, what can you say? I think you did the right thing by being there. If Summer is mad about that, then I'd say she's directing her anger at you unintentionally. Just a thought.

Get a laptop! You'll love it! :)

cinnamon girl said...

Unfortunately, probably NOTHING you say could make it any better. That's why people don't know what to say - because nothing helps.

What DOES help a bit is just being there. I know it feels like not enough. But giving her the opportunity to talk about her mother and her grief is all you can do, and may help a little bit.

The most common thing after a death is the avoidance of mentioning the deceased, for fear of upsetting the bereaved. This just increases the feelings of loneliness and loss. If you can be comfortable listening to her talk about her mother, and talk a bit yourself maybe, it may help her cope with her feelings. But you can't make the grief go away.

Michael said...

I think the card was a great idea. It's hard to know how to console people sometimes. Some want to be hugged and talk about it, others want to be left alone. But it sounds like you did the right thing.

Michael