Monday, January 15, 2007

As you recall from one of last months posts I had a little problem with my mom. That problem has disappeared for the time being. Also if you recall I went back to my parents house later that night. I never did write about all the things that were discussed that night. Most of them are just too personal to post about. I just don't want to even think about them. So they are getting buried down deep where they won't be thought about. If Digger thinks that he and Arwyn are avoiders they don't hold a candle to the avoidance issues my family has. Not that I'm bragging though.

Well on to what I was saying. One of the good things that came out of the late night conversating that my parents and I had was that my mom is now going to tutor our oldest son 2 times a week. That has started to take effect last week once school started back from Christmas break. So far things are going pretty good. Hopefully this will help him improve on his reading and math.

The other good thing that came out of the night has to do with the house. As you recall from this post last year we have a problem with our house. It has mold growing on the walls. It never did go away even after the cleaning we did to it last winter. We scrubbed the walls with bleach and it went away for awhile but it has returned to haunt us yet again. So I talked to my parents about the problem that night too. I told them that the homeowners won't do anything about the problem. We can't sell due to the problem. We can't live in the house like it is much longer because of the problem. I can't do anything about the problem to fix it because it will cost MAJOR bucks to do it.

So my parents said that they would do some looking around for a mold inspector to come out and look at the house and do some tests to determine what kind of mold we are dealing with. Well they found someone, and that person is coming to inspect the house tomorrow afternoon. He will find out what kind of mold it is and see if he can determine the cause of it. Although from the conversation he had with my dad he has a good idea of what it is. He will then determine what we need to do to alleviate the problem and give us an estimate on repair costs.

At that time my parents will decide if they have the funds to help us out and pay for the repairs. We can pay them back in a few years if we decide to sell the house. Or they said it could be deemed an early inheritance. I really don't like asking my parents for this kind of help. Especially with the guessing of how much it will cost to fix the problem. We're talking several thousand dollars up to possibly 20k or more. At the very least we need top replace all the carpet, replace the sheet rock from the floor up 4 feet on all exterior walls, and possibly replace all the windows in the house. The windows is because we have aluminum frame windows and they sweat in the winter. If we go with plastic frame windows they won't sweat, plus they will have a better insulation ability. Plus the possibility of replacing all the mattresses in the house and all furniture with cloth ie couches, etc.

Anyways asking for this much help makes me feel like I can't support my family. I also don't like taking this money from my parents because they are both retired and are now traveling all over the place enjoying life. If they give/lend the money to us then they won't have the money to use it for themselves. On the other hand we can not live like this. Summer and our oldest have been getting these really bad headaches anymore. It is starting to affect our health. So I'm stuck between the rock and the hard place.

1 comment:

FindingHeart said...

Mold costs have absolutely wrecked Texas insurance rates. Since it became big business, nobody will touch a house without charging debt into your next lifetime. Only the rich can afford it and their insurance seems to be able to cover the costs. I wish you all the best in getting that cleared out of the house.