Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I've been sick

Sorry that I haven't been posting lately but I have been sick the last few days. Actually Summer and I have been sick for a few days. Thank God that her sister was here yesterday. I truly mean that too. Summer came home from work early and I was already at home from work sick. So s-i-l watched the kids while Summer and I were able to lay in bed and rest. I was to sick to even try to make a move on her. :( Now that is sick for me. I was feeling a little better last night so I tried to post but could not read the screen as I was seeing double. Couldn't read any of my favorites or anything.

So next week is my first appointment with the psychiatrist. It's a good thing too as our oldest son is really trying my patience at this time. He's done some really hurtful things the past few months and it's getting out of control. Sorry but that's all I can say at this point. But I will not be the only person seeing a shrink.

On to a kid subject that I can post about. I need help from experienced parents PLEASE. Our youngest son is 5 years old. From the day that he was brought home from the hospital he has slept in our bed with us. When he was 3 we got him to sleep in his own bed just to fall asleep. Then in the middle of the night he would wake up and walk into our room and climb in our bed. Without waking us up. We would wake up in the morning with him next to us. The only way we were able to get him to sleep in his own room all night was to sleep in there with him. About a month ago he finally started to sleep through the night in his own bed. Then after Summer quit the supermarket things went back to the way they were when he was 3. He is now back in our bed. He will fall asleep in his own bed but then in the middle of the night he crawls into our bed. We have tried many different things to get him to sleep in his bed in the past. Bought him a new bed, let him choose what he wants on the bed, letting him stay up till he fell asleep on his own, let him watch TV in his room till he falls asleep. When he first started to walk in the middle of the night we were told to put a lock on his door to keep him in there. I don't like that idea. Although they say it is for his safety because it keeps him where he is safe, and out of places where we can't see him. So what should we do?
Oh the only way to still get him to sleep in his bed just to fall asleep is to lay down with him. Then when he is asleep we can get up and leave. But then sometime between 10:30 and 6:00 he gets in our bed again.


One last thought for the day. As I was writing this I was also watching Dr. Drew on Discovery Health channel. One of the topics was a girl who had laser vagina reconstructive surgery. WHY??????? To me that seems like such a waste of money. So she had 3 kids. So what? Summer has had 2 kids and she is fine the way she is. What is the purpose of this? Is this what medical science is doing for us? Dr.s are now saying " Ok. So you've had a few kids and now your stretched out. Well thanks to medical science we can make you a virgin again.' What a waste. But that is just my opinion of course. Instead of tightening women's vagina's, lets cure breast cancer. Now that is a service that women really need.

6 comments:

Michael said...

I can't really speak to the sleeping arrangements. My kids are 10 and 15 and they still don't like sleeping in their rooms. If given the choice they would sleep in the living room every night.

As far as medical advances go, I do have some insight on that. People may get into medicine to help people, but it's basicly a service-oriented business and the laws of supply and demand apply. If enough women want to have their vaginas lasered and there's money to be made then the medical industry will find a way to make it happen. That may sound sad, but the reality is that medical costs are outrageous. Doctors and hospitals have to find ways to make money to make up for the patients that don't/can't pay.

BTW most people don't know this but when a doctor takes care of a patient without insurance or that just doesn't pay, they are totally out that money. They can't even deduct that on their taxes as a charitable contribution or a business loss. That may not seem like a big deal, but there are a LOT of patients that come through with little or no insurance.

Sorry for the long rant. I'll put my soapbox away now.

M-

O272 said...

I thought the laser thing sounded like a good idea...

Advice on kids? I've got tons of that! You need to take the 5 year old back to bed when he comes into your room in the middle of the night. It sucks and sometimes you don't even realize he or she is there 'til morning, but the only way it'll stop is if you consistently move the child back to his or her own bed.

I woke up this morning and found my 3 year old in my bed. Although I knew she'd be getting up in an hour or two, I picked her up and put her in her room. She'll get it eventually. The rest of them did!

Hope you and Summer are feeling better!!!

FTN said...

I'm not a more experienced parent, as both of my kids are younger. But we've never let them sleep in our bed. At the risk of sounding harsh, I'd go the Dr Phil route (ugh, I can't believe I'm talking about Dr Phil) and say to be the parent and don't let the kids dictate what happens. Just don't let him sleep in your bed. Make it completely off-limits. It will be hard for awhile, because it is an ingrained habit for him now, but it can happen. Insist that he is not to leave his room after bedtime except for emergencies.

You didn't want to lock him in his room, but do you have a lock on your bedroom door? You could even make your whole bedroom "do not enter" territory, if needed. I'd also make an effort to quit the habit of laying down with him to get him to sleep; I'm sure that would help as well.

Like I said, you are a more experienced parent than I, so feel free to skip my advice! Just trying to help. Good luck.

Sie said...

Unfortunately it's a habit like any other habit that needs to be broken...and that is never easy.

You set a rule and stick to it. And after about 3 days, it starts to take hold.

Maybe adding a stuffed animal in his bed that he needs to sleep with will help the transition.

Lisa said...

I had the same problem with my son at 3. It took about a week or so of getting up and taking him back to his room. After a while he started to get the idea. Every now and again he'll try to come in, but I just take him back to his room. That's my advice, just keep taking him back to his room. Good Luck.

Mermaid Girl said...

Every family is different, as is each child, but what worked for me with my three and a half year old was establishing personal space.

Our room was off limits to her, and we made a point of respecting her bedroom and treating it as her space too (within reason of course).

She now has a healthy respect of our bedroom being just for us and on the odd occasions she is in there in the morning, snuggles in bed with us are considered a special treat.

Good luck!

MG