Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Another hunting trip

Went on another hunting trip the past weekend. Went back to the same place as before. Just on a different hill. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I saw 4 deer in 3 days. Never before have I had a worse season than this. I'm used to at least seeing 15-20 deer a day. All does of course. But it was a good trip all the same. This time it was just my dad and I. The kids wanted to stay home this time. Which was fine with me because it gave me an extra day to go hunting. It also gave me some time to spend with just my dad. So it was fun. We did a little bit of talking. Not a lot but hey at least we talked.

Nothing spectacular happened this time like the last time. No crashed vehicles or anything like that. Although my uncle called us on Sun. morning to ask where we were at on the mountain. Apparently he shot his deer on Sat. at the club. So he was going to meet us at our spot. His season lasted an entire 90 minutes. Shooting time was at 6:30 he got his deer at 8:00. A 2x3 buck. But it wasn't mine or my dads so I won't bore you with the details.

So this afternoon SR asked me the silliest question. She asked me if I had enough decoys for duck hunting finally. That would be like asking if a woman had enough pairs of black heels. Of course not! She said that I have tons of decoys now. What else could I possibly need. Well let's see here. I currently have about 5 dozen duck decoys. 2 dozen mallard, 1 dozen pintail, 1/2 dozen green wing teal, 1/2 dozen widgeon, various decoys I've found over the years, some feeders, sleepers, and flyers. She bought me a decoy bag last year that holds 8 dozen decoys. So I NEED at least 3 dozen more.

Then there are goose decoys. 2 dozen honker shells. 1 dozen honker "socks". 8 dozen honker silhouettes. 2 dozen snow goose "socks". 1 dozen spec shells. I NEED at least 1 more dozen spec shells. 2 dozen spec silhouettes. 200 snow rags. 2 dozen snow shells. 1 dozen spec floaters. 1/2 dozen honker floaters. 2 dozen honker full bodies.

So as you can see there is still a long ways to go before I have what I need. That's just decoys. There's still jackets, waders, calls, boats, dogs. The list is endless. Just like black heels to a lady I can NEVER have to much duck hunting equipment. Sorry to those ladies out there that don't wear black heels. I'm in no way trying to be patronizing or stereotyping.

One last little tidbit of good news. SR got her schedule changed at work. So she is now working M-T during the days. And Fri. nights. That means that I will be able to attend my men's group meetings on Thu. nights! Isn't that great news? I'm so happy about this. I can't wait to go this Thu.

Just for those of you that are keeping track (not that there are many) our sex streak came to a screeching halt after I posted about it last. Went from 3 times in 7 days to once in 10 days. So there really isn't much to be jealous over. It just has it's ups and downs like every other relationship out there. I just wish it wasn't MY relationship. But then again I guess everyone thinks that.

8 comments:

O272 said...

Please tell me you've caught (shot/killed/poisoned?) a duck before!

ArtfulDodger said...

wow, this duck hunting thing requires a lot of equipment. how do you carry all of that? ha! good news on the schedule thing however, that should make things easier.

Rob said...

Well even though you may never get to shoot Bambi or Daffy, at least you're getting lots of fresh air on these annual hunting trips! :-)

Confused Husband said...

O Yes I have shot a few ducks before. Evben some geese. So :-)~ !!

Art It get's very tricky carrying all of this. Luckily though I don't use everything at one time. Ducks for water hunting, geese for land hunting. I have a dolly and a tub that everything goes into.

rob The fresh air is the best part of these trips. Along with the beautiful sunsets and sunrises I see everyday.
CH

Just Me said...

Wow - I never knew hunting equipment could be so addicting. FYI I have one pair of black heels and one duck decoy - distressed and sitting on one of my bookshelves.

Lori said...

Well, I have to confess I have never hunted before, and I really don't think I ever will.

Good luck to you!

Emily said...

Much pleased about your men's group and SR's hours.

Actually, you are the only guy I know about who goes to a regular men's group, and I must say I am impressed. I think we all need the company and support of our own gender from time to time.

Anonymous said...

You clearly do not have enough equipment. You didn't list moto-decoys in there anywhere...Why do you folks hunt deer so early in the year out there? We don't start til November.