Sunday, October 15, 2006

6 DAYS!

That's right folks. Just 6 more days to my favorite season of the year. Duck season! This year is a very special year to hunt ducks for me too. I got my first reservation to hunt a refuge on opening day. No sitting in a parking lot for hours waiting for the people who got a ressi to shoot their limit and leave so I can get on. Not this year. I get to be in the field at first light and get first crack at the new birds of the season. I can't wait. I just need to get all my gear out of storage and ready to go.



The past weekend was a good one. Our town had it's annual celebration. There was a carnival for 4 days, fireworks, vendors, a parade today, and awards for the biggest Striped Bass caught. They even had a car show yesterday morning. SR volunteered at the Chamber of Commerce booth selling raffle tickets, T-shirts, and give wrist bands to people over 21 so they could by beer.

When SR got off at the booth last night the kids and I met her down in town and we walked around from about 5:30 till a little after 10:00. We ate dinner and took the kids to the carnival. We all rode the bumper cars. The kids just love to do that. After that was over Oldest went on the Ferris wheel with some friends while youngest and I got on the Tornado. That was a complete shocker to me. It was his idea and he insisted on going on it. So we stood in line for a 20 minutes waiting to get on. The whole time he is extremely excited. When it was our turn to get on he ran to where he was told to get on and had the biggest smile in his face. When the ride got going it lifted us off the ground and went in circles. He asked my to spin the bar so we could spin more. So I did. He had the biggest smile I have ever seen on him. He was laughing so hard. My parents were there to take videos of him as we were going in circles. I can't wait to see them.

Now if he was me when I was 5 there was no way in hell I was going on that ride. Or any other ride for that matter. I was the biggest chicken you ever saw. The first coaster I ever went on was the Demon at Great America. I hated it. And I was 15! I didn't like coasters until I was about 17. Then you couldn't keep me off of the Demon, or the Edge or any other coaster I got a chance to ride.

Back to last night. After we rode the Tornado it was time to get ready to watch the fireworks. So the 6 of us went back to Summer's truck to watch the show. Now for a little town like it is that we live in they have one heck of a show. Nothing like Disneyland or Butchart Gardens, but good none the less. They bring a barge in under the draw bridge and have it stop right at the end of main street. Then they light the fireworks off by hand. No electronics used. There are 4 guys on the barge lighting them off with flares. It was awesome.

Then we went back to the carnival again where youngest went on the super slide and oldest went back on the bumper cars. Then it was home to bed. Boy did I sleep good last night.

This morning I attended church with the family. It was a good time. Although I have some questions to ask a few of my readers. Those will wait for later in the week though. Need to keep something for a post in the bank. :D After church we went back to the carnival to watch the parade. Then the boys and I took SR over to the boat dealer where they were having some excellent deals on some boats. There was one that normally goes for 130k that was show priced to 98k. What a deal! We did see a patio boat that we were semi interested in. It was about 23k. but SR really surprised me when she saw a boat that was going for 20k. The payments were 170 a month. Something we can't yet afford. But she said if we could afford it, it might be something she'd be interested in. It was a 19' Searay w/135 horse motor. It had a fiberglass floor to it so it made it real good as a fishing boat. But it also had the wakeboard tower on it as well so it would be a great ski boat as well. I miss water skiing. So we have more stuff to dream over now. Along with 2 new trucks for SR and I.

Then it was back to the carnival for another round of bumper cars. This time youngest went on the small coaster with SR. They had a good time. Both kids went on the Super Slide. Then all 4 of us got on the Tornado. SR screamed the whole time. Telling me to stop spinning while youngest is wanting me to spin more. My arms got real tired. :D

That's all for now. I want to leave you with final thing. I don't usually do this but decided that what the heck. I'll only live once. I found a new blog the other night.Ramble....anyone? She is a new blogger and only has about 5 posts. If you want to check out some good Ferris wheel stories go check her out. Especially parts 2 and 3. She's just starting out and is looking for input on her writings so go give her a visit.

6 comments:

ArtfulDodger said...

Wow CH, sounds like you all had a great time! Ya big chicken! Or should that be duck? A is Duck season really bigger than football season? Seems un-american to me.

Just Me said...

I love carnivals, and I am glad your family had fun.

FTN said...

Sounds like you rode every ride at least two or three times! Your kids must have a lot more guts than mine, they'd never ride some of those type of rides. Perhaps in a few years when they're older. My daughter says she wants to, then acts like she's dying as soon as they start.

If you get a boat, I bet you'll have all sorts of new friends really quick!

Rob said...

"Although I have some questions to ask a few of my readers. Those will wait for later in the week though."

You better ask us soon CH in order to read our replies before you head off to go looking for your quackers there! :-)

Alexa said...

I'm glad you had fun! I love carnivals, which I guess is why one of my first posts was about one! I love the coasters, I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie.
I hope your hunting goes great!

&hearts
Alexa.

Alexa said...

Oh, and thank you for mentioning my blog!
I appreciate it, a lot. I might change it some though.