Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Some people just really annoy the hell out of me. So we have 2 hump back whales swim up through the San Francisco Bay and on up through the bay into our little neck of the woods. SO WHAT! It's like some great big huge deal now to some people. They are loseing their f'ing minds.

I know that i'm about to reveal a little much in the information department but I don't care at the moment. It's not going to be to hard to find out where I am anyways from previous posts.

I'm at work yesterday and part of my job is to deliver paychecks. So about 5:45 or 6:00 I go out to the ferry boats to deliver our measley boot allowance checks. If you want to call them that. They tax our boot allowance checks at 43% so we only get about 29 bucks. WooHoo! Like where are you going to get a quality pair of work boots for that much manoey?

Sorry. Side tracked there.

So when I get to the first ferry the cars are backed up for a 1/4 mile. All lined up. There are people parking 1/2 mile away and walking to the ferry. so I cross over turn on the rotating light and drive in the wrong lane. I get to gate of the ferry and there is close to 100 people standing around hoping to get a glimpse of the whales. When I walked onto the boat the deckhand asked me to stay at theshack to keep people from going where they don't belong.

No problem I say. I'll stay here for a few minutes. A few minutes turned into a few hours. We had people doing the stupidest things. Trying to climb the pillings and walk out the pier that makes the boat slip. Not designed for walking on. We had news reporters walking out our feul dock. Even though there is a chain across the walkway. I tell one reporter that he can't walk out there. He says you talking to me? Yes. But I'm with the press. I don't care who you are you're not authorized to go out there.

We got people trying to walk down the boat slip. Kinda like a boat ramp. While the ferry is trying to come into the slip! All to get a better view. The worst thing is that some of the local people that just want to cross the ferry to get home can't get to the ferry because of all the looky loos. I'm ashamed to say that my parents were 2 of them. And if I didn't have Summer's truck she would have been too. I hang my head in shame.

I finally had to call my supervisor when we almost had a fight break out. Some guy in the line of cars got tired of waiting so her pushed the car inn front of him forward with his bumper so that he could turn around. Get this: CHP didn't believe my boss so they wouldn't dsend someone.

Finally after I was there for over an hour a local police officer comes out to see what is going on. By that time things have died down. The thriongs of people started to thin out around 7:40 or so. The whales swam further up the river and everyone disperseed. He asks me what has been going on and says if it starts up again to call him. Then when I'm finally ready to leave at around 8:00 a CHP officer shows up. He said he was responding to a call about traffic being back up on the highway. I told him he was a bit late and he should have been there when I called for assistance over an hour ago. by that time the crowd of 100 people went down to 10.

All of this comotion because a stupid whale came out to the wrong place. Everyone was there to get a glimpse of the whale. We had over 13 news vans out there for lve coverage. I'm sure some the coverage went national. You may have even seen me on the news. But here's the kicker. If all these stupid yahoos would have had the sense to stay home they would have seen a lot more than they did by beeing out there. No one there saw a thing. The whales never surfaced in front of our location. But the people at home got to see them on TV.

The even worse part is the whales have to came back through my little delta town to get back out to the ocean. Great. Even more yahoos to deal with when that happens.

All this means is that people that never even heard of this place are all of a sudden going to know about us and want to drive out here. Making traffic worse than it is now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, laughing from 1500 miles away...I feel your pain, buddy.

FTN said...

Interesting. That's the first I've heard about this, actually. Maybe I'm just not watching enough news.

You gotta love crowds of rubberneckers, though. And a police response time of 1 hour, that's pretty impressive.

for a different kind of girl said...

I rely on television for these kinds of things. Same with concerts. Why pay hundreds of bucks to watch the band on giant video screens anyway.

My comment makes no sense. Kinda like me...heh...

Besides, I'm more a dolphin kinda girl...