Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sate Fair!

Sat. was the day that we all went to the California state fair. I had been looking forward to this years fair for quite some time. It's usually a yearly thing that we got to. But last year we went to Tahoe for vacation instead. This year almost didn't happen due to finances but we made it. as a great time. Went and saw all the cool exhibits, the animals, the side shows, the crazy people riding the insane rides, ate fair food, and the most important feature of the fair was people watching. Or to be more accurate stomach watching. :D

The day went pretty well. We only had one small outburst from youngest son because we wouldn't buy him a toy. We told him before hand not to ask for a toy because we were on a tight budget. So what does he do? He asks for a t-o-y every few minutes. Hey he didn't say toy, he spelled it. What are you gonna do? Well what we were supposed to do. We told him n-o. He threw a tantrum, hit and kicked me, I got flustered and and got him with my foot after being kicked 7 too many times. He looked at me asked why I did that, I told him and he settled down. Asked for dinner and things were fine afterwards. All in all though he did pretty dam good for as long as we were there. We left the house shortly after 11:30 and didn't leave the fair till after 10:00. It was close to midnight by the time we got home.

Some highlights of the day:
  • Spending the day with family. Always a plus.
  • Seeing the Toytopia exhibit. That was pretty dam cool. Got to see tons of toys that I used to play with as a kid back in the late 70's early 80's. Amazingly enough quite a few of the toys were still in the original packages. Even after 30 years.
  • Watching the Extreme Super Bike stunt riders. That was simply awesome. I was surprised by how many pictures I took while watching the 12 minute show. Close to 60 pictures and 3 short videos. (I'm testing out the new Google video feature for Blogger and posting a 19 second clip here.)

Some low points of the day:
  • The heat! It was just over 100 degrees on Sat. It was hot. It wasn't as hot as it was for some of the days I've attended in years past though.
  • The temper tantrum of youngest son. Enough said.
  • The cost of food. Un-freaking-believable! Good Lord! we spent 30 bucks just for 3 sandwiches and a thing of fries for Summer, CH Jr. and myself. That don't include the popcorn, lemonades, smoothies, corn dog, slice of pizza, funnel cake and ice cream cone. At least the water was free. There was no way in hell I was going to buy a beer. A 10 ounce cup cost as much as a six pack.
  • I know I'm probably going to take a ration of shit for this one, but it can't be helped. The funnel cake was a major disappointment. After reading all the reviews for the funnel cake on a few blogs and from from all the comments on those blogs that was my sole purpose for attending this years fair. After hearing about it's "gooey goodness" I just had to have one. It was alright but not worth all the hype I was giving it. It definitely wasn't worth the $5.50 I paid for it. That was for plain powdered sugar. If I wanted fruit toppings, or whipped cream it was an extra dollar per topping. Maybe I built it up to much. I don't know. I do know I will NOT be buying another one in the future.
  • I was unable to afford a deep fried Twinkie. I have been wanting one of those for years. But youngest ended up getting his toy after we were done buying food for the day. Oh well. I probably would have been disappointed anyways.


That's it for the fair review. One last thing to add though. When did the mow hawk come back into style? I saw no fewer than 6 kids under the age of 12 with this out of date hair style. What's up with that?

So to end I'll show a few photos of the day of fun.



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you insane? You didn't think the funnel cake was cheap at twice the price? My god, man...

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh, I hope the funnel cake wasn't really the sole purpose you went to the fair. I mean, it may be mine, but I'd hate for that to be it for you!

Here, though, they are marginally cheaper and sinfully perfect. God, I'd almost consider becoming a carnie to go to fair to fair just to have them. Unfortunately, that play seems foiled from the start considering my fondness for cleanliness and inability to make lewd comments to passing women.

Michael said...

Sounds like a typical day at the fair to me, except our state fair is in October so it isn't that hot. And it's in Dallas; people from Fort Worth try to avoid Dallas if at all possible. But we have the Stock Show & Rodeo in February.